It has been awhile since I have had a quilt finish to show you so, without further ado…
I started this quilt well over a year ago as a challenge to myself. The challenge was to choose fabrics from the local fabric store to make a quilt. This probably doesn’t seem like much of a challenge to many quilters but I feel more comfortable buying collections. My closest fabric store is 35 miles away and isn’t a specialty shop that carries recognizable collections of popular designer quilt fabrics. It is a locally owned chain franchise that has a bit of a discount feel to it. There are a few recognizable fabric manufacturers but you do have to be careful because there are ‘no name’ fabrics whose quality isn’t always great. The owner of the store is a really nice woman who is truly interested in what her clients make with their purchases and has been a big source of encouragement to me since none of my close friends sew.
Most of the fabric was bought using the “without a plan”method which all the ladies at the store think is crazy ! Now that I have been sewing for a few years and my stacks of fabric seem to be taking over the place… I’m starting to wonder if there may be a better approach to purchasing fabric ! I usually buy the fabric first and then try and find a pattern that will suit the fabric. For this fabric I was inspired by Allison Harris’s Chippewa Quilt tutorial. I started by cutting 4.5″ squares and made a ridiculous number of different layout options on my design wall. If you are interested you can see a few of them here . After I was satisfied with the layout I took the squares off in numbered rows and they sat for almost a year until I finally felt like doing some mindless chain piecing . Sewing them together was a bit of a mystery quilt project as I had forgotten what the design was !
The quilt measures about 60″ x 60″ and I had it quilted with a panto called “houndstooth”. For the top thread colour I choose coral and the bobbin thread a medium/dark grey. This is the first time I’ve chosen to have two thread colours and am pretty happy with the results.
Here’s a shot of the back:
This isn’t my favourite quilt but I think it turned out O.K. I think each quilt we make teaches us something. This quilt was made in fits and starts over at least 14 months and I do feel I have grown as a quilter during that time.
I have a second finish to show you… our new grain bin is up and in use. Here are a few pictures:
Thanks for having a look.
I’ll be linking up with Amanda for Finish It Up Friday.