Upcycling

You know those vinyl zippered bags that new sheets, mattress pads , tablecloths ect come packaged in ?

100_4102

Well, I’ve always felt weird about putting them in the recycle bin. I’ve used them for storage of course but always wondered if there wasn’t something else I could do with them. So the other day I got an idea and gave it a try.

100_4117

See-thru vinyl pouches !

The mattress pad bag came with a two way zipper so I was able to cut down the zipper and use the same zipper on two pouches.

100_4105

The zipper pull was really ugly but it was easy to cut off and tie on a replacement. For the first two pouches I made my own ‘binding’ out of some stash fabric that goes amazingly well with the opaque vinyl. This fabric has been a ‘problem child’ in the sewing room – that blue does not play well with other blues !

I made a couple of quilt blocks for a baby quilt and am now kinda stuck because I haven’t been able to find more colours to co-ordinate with that blue. Oh well !

100_4111

The vinyl wasn’t that hard to work with but I found using my clover clips and masking tape very helpful.

100_4118

I still had lots of vinyl left over so I made a few pouches using some ready made binding – or maybe it’s called bias tape. I used two rows of stitching on each tape; one close to the zipper and the other on the outside edge to make sure the vinyl was secured between the folds.

I had cut my binding fabric strips 2″ and after pressing them in half and then half again I think they were still a bit chunky looking. I think the store bought tape looks a little neater.

100_4140

Both of these pouches measure approximately 8″x 6″. I had a meter (40″) of each bias tape and only had a few inches left when I was done. I also found out that vinyl is hard to photograph !

In other news: we have been getting a site ready for a new grain bin

100_4125

That’s my husband tamping down the gravel over where we have installed drainage pipe and there will soon be a large concrete pad poured for the bin floor. It doesn’t look like much but believe me there are a tremendous number of hours involved in getting the foundation ready for a bin that will hold 2,400,400 pounds of wheat or just over 1 thousand metric tonnes.

100_4128

This is the view from my office… just kidding ! I turned 180 degrees from the last picture and this is the wheat field west of the bin site. We’ve been getting a nice amount of rain this year and the crops are looking good.

Thanks for having a look. Have a lovely weekend.

I’ll be linking up with CrazyMomQuilts for Finish it up Friday.

Wants and needs

Although my son didn’t know it, he needed new pillow cases and I wanted a quick sewing project !

100_4066

masculine prints were needed- second from the left reminds me of sprocket wheels .

Happily, both could be satisfied with a trip to the fabric store and a good pillow case tutorial from Ashley over at Film in the Fridge.

100_4068

I have used this tutorial before and I like it for it’s clear instructions and great results. The pillow cases have a nice cuff, a pop of detail in that trim and french seams so they don’t fray.

100_4086

I didn’t pre-wash my fabrics so they look at bit roomy on the pillows here. I am expecting the cases to shrink up a bit.

100_4090

That’s my finish for the week !

Thanks for having a look. Have a delightful weekend !

linking up with Amanda for Finish it up Friday.

Star light, star bright…

First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have this wish I wish tonight.

 

A few months ago I was at my local fabric store and noticed a beautiful batik. These fabrics really appeal to me but I rarely buy them. This fabric just had to come home with me so I bought half a meter ( 20 inches) – without a plan, of course. I knew I wouldn’t be making any thing large but eventually an idea formulated and a star was born !

100_4060

 

100_4059

I used the Missouri star quilt block tutorial by Jenny Doan. As promised it was very easy. I had just enough to add a bit of a border and voila… a 28″ square table topper/mini quilt.

I’ve been told that not all batiks are ‘real’ but I think this one is. There was the distinctly lovely scent of wax as I was pressing the fabric and the variation & depth of colour is quite special. The additional fabrics are from my stash and the binding is ‘pomegranate’ from Freespirit.

100_4062

I backed it with a pink swirly fabric from my stash and did simple grid line quilting. The choice of thread colour may have been a mistake; I was in too much of a hurry to wait until my next trip ‘to the city’ so I just went with what I had on hand. Oh well, one of the pitfalls of quilting in the middle-of-nowhere.

That’s all the quilting news I have for this week but I do want to show you another picture:

100_4072

Last week we had a surprise visitor from France !! Our friend Remi first came to our farm five years ago for a 5 month internship while he was studying agriculture in Lille, France. He really became a part of our family and it was so good to have him back – if only for a week !

Thanks for having a look !

I’ll be linking up with Amanda for Finish it up Friday.